Olympus E-5 – Ready for Anything
So here are the E-5, the newest long-awaited digital SLR camera from Olympus brand loyalists. A camera with plenty of substance and few frills as is the style of Olympus. Intended to replace the flagship E-3, the new E-5 will benefit from the work of the range Olympus Micro Four Thirds where the PEN has demonstrated the value of his research team.
The specifications on paper are slightly below expectations and the rating data expressed by the competitors top range SLR APS-C; 720p HD video, digital 12.3 megapixel CMOS sensor, 11-point autofocus, continuous shooting at 5 fps even as we shall see if the E-5 will not suffer from some inferiority complex towards rivals. New swivel LCD display and always the great strength, durability and ergonomics expressed by high-end digital SLR from Olympus.
Instead of cramming pixels in the ‘small’ Four Thirds sensor Olympus engineers have focused on image quality in an absolute sense to make the best of the excellent quality of Zuiko lenses so far under-utilized compared to their real possibilities. This was achieved by reducing the action of the filter ‘low pass’ (found on all digital sensors to eliminate moiré and false colors at the expense of sharpness) and improving the algorithm processor in the renewed V + TruePic image that promises to maintain a formidable detail of the frame.
The same AF system has not grown in number of points of focus, all 11 cross, but it promises a quick acquire unparalleled even in low light conditions and in combination with the optical standard ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12-60mm f2 .8-4.0 SWD. Work until then, in order to provide high quality and durability, without chasing or chase mode. Do not forget that even today an SLR like the Nikon D3s is equipped with a 12 megapixel sensor (as over a larger area of the Four Thirds Olympus), and are still thousands of fans of the brand, content, continue to take pictures with the Olympus E-1 5.5-megapixel!
The new Olympus E-5 (source: Olympus-global.com)
* 12.3 megapixel CMOS digital sensor, the highest expression of image quality in a digital SLR camera thanks to Olympus TruePic image processor technology + V ‘Fine-detail Processing’, finally able to exploit the full potential.
* ISO sensitivity range from 100 to 6400 with Auto-ISO (200 to 6400)
* Outstanding reliability thanks to magnesium alloy body, the waterproof and dustproof protection and award-winning system to remove dust from the ultrasonic sensor.
* LCD Display 3 “HyperCrystal VGA, adjustable on two axes, with light sensor to adjust the brightness of ambient light.
* The fastest existing AF with 11 focus points of all cross. Ability to fine-tune the objectives of the survey with the same serial number.
* Shutter speed faster with 1 / 8000, continuous shooting at 5 fps.
* Live-View fast and accurate, compatible with all Four Thirds system lenses.
* Image stabilization built into the camera body with high-capacity correction (5EV).
* Video recording in 720p HD with HDMI output.
* Dual memory card slots for SD / Compact Flash.
* Pentaprism optical viewfinder with 100% coverage.
White balance for underwater shooting.
* Copyright information on images.
AE Bracketing * 2 and 7 frames.
* Electronic Horizon visible in the viewfinder and on LCD displays.
* Command for multiple exposures.
* Wireless flash control.
* Shutter tested to 150,000 shots.
* Large set of original creative filters for in-camera editing.